A press release from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported:
- The combined cases of syphilis , gonorrhea, and chlamydia reached an all-time high in the US in 2018
- Half the STDs were reported in people between the ages of 15 and 24
- Men who have sex with men (MSM) were disproportionately affected by the increase in STD rates
- CDC estimates ABOUT HALF of MSM who have syphilis also have HIV
- The CDC figures underestimate the total number of STDs nationwide because many people with these conditions do not show symptoms
- o Among newborns, syphilis cases increased 40 %
- The most infectious stages of syphilis – increased 14 %, the highest number reported since 1991
- Increased 5 % ,the highest number reported since 1991
- increased 3 % – the most ever reported to CDC
Testing for STDs is fast, painless, accurate, and affordable. It is important to test if you’ve engaged in risky behaviour or who have partner(s) who do, since symptoms may not appear (i.e., asymptomatic).
Antibiotics can cure syphilis, gonorrhea, and chlamydia. However, untreated STD can be transmitted to others and lead to adverse health outcomes such as infertility, ectopic pregnancy, and increased HIV risk.
At Cross Street Medical, we offer a range of STD screening packages. Your test and test results are confidential. Our doctors are experienced to provide you with treatment and advice. We also offer long term STD screening advice and management.