Cross Street Medical Clinic offers all relevant STD/STI screening tests and treatments. Speak to our doctors today about what you may need. Female doctors are available by appointment. We ensure patient privacy and confidentiality for all discussions, tests and treatments.
What is an STD/STI?
Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are infections that are commonly spread by sex, especially through vaginal, anal and oral sex.
STDs may also be called sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and venereal diseases (VD).
How do we contract STD/STI?
It is advisable to do testing:
• After casual sex with a stranger
• After ending a sexual relationship where the other partner was unfaithful
• If your partner tests positive for an STD/STI
• When starting a new sexual relationship or before starting unprotected sex in a new relationship
• When there are multiple sexual partners; at the minimum, yearly screening is recommended
• If symptoms of STD/STI are present (see below)
The most well-documented risks of transmission are:
|Sexual activity||STD/STI transmitted|
Mycoplasma hominis infection
|Oral intercourse||Throat chlamydia|
How can we tell that we may have STD/STI?
Common symptoms include:
- Vaginal discharge
- Penile discharge
- Pain during urination
- Rashes, including blisters, ulcers and sores on or around the genitals and mouth
- Painful or painless lymph nodes
How do we prevent infection and re-infection?
- Avoiding high risk sex, including commercial sex workers, casual sex and multiple sex partners
- Using condoms, including during oral sex
- Being in a long-term monogamous relationship with a partner who has tested negative for HIV and other STD/STI.