It is not uncommon for men aged 50 years and above to develop symptoms of low testosterone (andropause).
Common symptoms are:
- Erectile dysfunction or impotence
- Low or no sexual desire
- Depression or anxiety
- Reduced muscle mass
- Less or low energy
- Weight gain
- Anaemia and hot flashes
While falling testosterone levels are a normal part of aging (andropause), low testosterone may occur at a younger age.
- Injury or infection
- Chemotherapy or radiation treatment for cancer
- Medications, especially hormones used to treat prostate cancer and corticosteroid drugs
- Chronic illness such as thyroid disease, diabetes
A diagnosis of low testosterone is based on a review of symptoms, physical examination and the results of multiple blood tests.
To confirm a diagnosis, blood tests must be taken to calculate the free testosterone levels.
These blood tests must be taken before 10 AM. Cross Street Medical
offers screening tests for low testosterone. Speak to our doctors today about what you may need. We ensure patient privacy and confidentiality for all discussions, tests and treatments
Due to the aging population, testosterone replacement
is becoming more common in Singapore.
Treatment is targeted at reversing the effects of low testosterone, such as fatigue and sexual dysfunction.
Available treatments include:
- Injections (Nebido) are normally given every 3 months
- Topical gels (Androgel) are spread daily onto the skin over both upper arms, shoulders, or thighs
- Tablets (Andriol) are attached to the gum or inner cheek twice a day. Testosterone is then absorbed into the bloodstream
- Implants are inserted under the skin, usually around the hips or buttocks, and slowly release testosterone. They are replaced every 3 - 6 months
Most men feel an improvement in symptoms within 4 - 6 weeks of taking testosterone therapy, although changes like an increase in muscle mass may take 3 - 6 months.Cross Street Medical
offers treatment for low testosterone. Speak to our doctors about what you may need. We ensure patient privacy and confidentiality for all discussions, tests and treatments.