Trichomoniasis is a common sexually transmitted disease and is spread through vaginal sex.About 70% of infected people do not have any symptoms and infections can be present for months to years without symptoms. However, infected people without symptoms are still infectious and can spread infection during sex.Infection is more common in women than in men. It can spread between female sexual partners.
About 30% of infected people have symptoms, ranging from mild irritation to severe discomfort. Symptoms may develop 5 to 28 days after being infected or much later. Symptoms may come and go.
Men may experience the following:
• Itching or irritation inside urethra
• Pain and swelling of the scrotum
• Pain or burning sensation during urination or ejaculation
• Thin white discharge from the penis
Women may experience the following:
• Itching, burning, redness or soreness of the vulva and/or vagina
• Pain or discomfort when urinating or having sex
• A clear, white, yellowish or greenish vaginal discharge with a bad odor
Direct examination under microscopy and/or DNA Probe Screen using:
• For men, urine samples, which are sent to a laboratory for tests
• For women, vaginal swabs, which are sent to a laboratory for testsCross Street Medical
offers all relevant screening tests for Trich. Speak to our doctors about what you may need. Female doctors are available by appointment. We ensure patient privacy and confidentiality for all discussions, tests and treatments.
Trichomoniasis does not normally cause serious complications.However, untreated Trichomoniasis may:
• Increase the risk of premature deliveries and low birth weight babies in pregnant women
• Increase the risk of contracting sexually transmitted diseases
such as HIV
Antibiotic treatment is given as oral tablets. It is not uncommon for Trichomoniasis to recur within
3 months after treatment.
Therefore, it is necessary to treat sexual partners to prevent re-infection.
For positive cases, other sexually transmitted diseases/infections such as chlamydia
, and HIV
should be tested.Cross Street Medical
offers all relevant treatments for Trichomoniasis. Speak to our doctors about what you may need. Female doctors are available by appointment.